Friday, February 13, 2009

Feb 13: Enjoyable Process

In November of 2008, I began my job search to begin my professional career. I was heavily recruited to interview for a position as an Assistant Professor at Iowa State University. I represented so much of what they were looking for in a candidate. Moreover, getting this job would mean that I could continue to be a part of my zone team and be able to support the same YWD that I have come to know and respect.

Overall, my interview went well. But I flopped on the biggest part, the research presentation, in front of 22 faculty and students. This was very painful and embarrassing. I knew deep inside that there was a reason why I had to go through that. It was time to start climbing. I was determined to make this a victory for my life and for the YWD that I support.

When I created my bucket list in January, at the very top was a career breakthrough. This involved growing as a better employee and securing a job offer by the end of the February.

I struggled internally for weeks about the job search and my weaknesses, all the while chanting for a victory, but not hearing from other jobs I applied to. I was becoming anxious until my mother reminded me about the power of having the correct prayer. As President Ikeda explained in his lecture, “The heart of the ‘Treasure Tower chapter’ – this is the heart of the Buddha’s vow to realize the happiness of humanity…and stand up resolutely to accomplish kosen-rufu in the Latter Day, no matter how enormous the hardships they may face.” (Living Buddhism, Nov-Dec 2008, p. 71)

Sensei’s lecture and my mother’s reminder helped me realize I wasn’t focused on my vow. I had a weak prayer for victory. So I changed my prayer from focusing on getting a specific job to getting a job where I can fully carry out my mission for kosen-rufu and support the YWD. Within hours after chanting this way, I received a call from Northwestern University to interview for a Postdoc position in the School of Educational and Social Policy. I thought, this is it! However, I would have to move.

My interview was January 22 and expected to hear their decision immediately. I received an email a week later stating their search was on hold and would resume in late February. This meant I could still fully support this month’s meetings. But, I had to fight feelings of inadequacy again until I realized, I have to fight. I have to support the YWD. I have to focus on my mission and do human revolution.

This process has been my greatest benefit. These challenges have instilled in me a greater since of mission and belief in myself. For the first time, I’m living Sensei’s encouragement to give 100% to encouraging a member as if it may be the last time I could see them. The quality of my visits are better, and I’ve experienced so much joy hearing YWDs breakthroughs. Also, this process has given me a greater sense of belief and pride in my capability as a researcher and a deeper sense of determination to be that good as a professional.

I have yet to receive a job offer. But this has become a very enjoyable process. Who knew that a 4 month job search could bring about so much joy!


Name: Emanda Thomas (far left in photo)
Length of Practice: 29 years (entire life)
Location: Minnesota/Midwest Zone Vice YWD ldr