Friday, February 20, 2009

Feb 20: The Joy of Sharing Buddhism

"Just last Sunday, Feb 15th, I had 2 people receive the Gohonzon and one join SGI from O'Hare District. Amazing things happen when you do Shakubuku! Michelle, who is my neighbor's best friend, has 2 kinds of cancer. When her 3rd husband learned she had cancer, he left her and her friends stopped calling her. It's was too difficult for them to handle. But this past Sunday her husband drove her, her daughter and me to the Chicago Culture Center to receive her Gohonzon; her 14 year old daughter joined SGI too. He was very impressed by all members he met at the center.

The other person was my tenant, a 32 years old ex-Marine. He began chanting last November and after just one month, he was reunited with his missing brother. They had not seen each other for 14 years. He lost his mom when he was 11 years old and has had a rough life. When 10 members enshrined his Gohonzon in his tiny (10 x 10 ft) room, he cried with joy. I asked his girlfriend to be his sponsor because our Campaign this month is "Let’s Win Right Now, Let's Win Together."

We held a new member's celebration party right after we enshrined his Gohonzon;15 guests and 14 members attended this party. One of the guests I invited is interested in attending next Saturday’s district meeting, if he decides to join, I will ask a Men’s Division Chapter leader to be his sponsor. Through my own Shakubuku experience, I feel so fortunate to be with such a great organization, and I am proud to be a member of the SGI Family, where people truly create happiness in their lives.

Thank you!


Name: Michiko Ishikawa (bottom rt in photo)
Practice: 33 years
Location: Chicago West Region Women Div. Leader