Saturday, February 21, 2009

Feb 21: Nothing is Ever Wasted

"The bigger the problems we have, the higher the state of life we can develop. The more deeply we pray to overcome our problems, the more profound the wisdom we can tap. The harder we challenge ourselves right to the end, the greater inner strength we can forge. Nothing is ever wasted in Buddhism.” (Kaneoko Ikeda, Jan-Feb LB p. 16)

I have developed a trusting friendship with a co-worker of 14 years so much that he and his fiancé will be lifetime friends. They have known about my practice for many years but never showed much interest. However, about 9 months ago, he told me about some of his frustrations which led to a discussion on his philosophy, which enabled me to share Buddhism in greater detail. Through several conversations he decided to try chanting at home. However, he was inconsistent; he chanted only when he was frustrated and would not come to a meeting. I even began teaching him Gongyo in my car in the parking garage during our lunch hour!

Months went by and my expectations began to frustrate me, he would not comply with MY agenda and campaign goals! My motivation was to get a result; it wasn’t about him. No wonder he wasn’t interested! Where was my compassion? Where was my heart? I became so focused on “getting” him to chant I stopped introducing the practice to others. Once I realized this I began to chant to find my heart, to get my motivation from a place of compassion. I also began to chant to find those Bodhisattvas that were looking for the Gohonzon. As long as I nurtured that compassion, opportunities to share this Buddhism with others came frequently and easily. This resulted in meeting two complete strangers who immediately showed interest and received their Gohonzons within a month. I did not have to say clever philosophical things; my encouragement and actions came from my daimoku for their victories.

I was so preoccupied with my two new members, I almost gave up on my co-worker, once again thinking if he didn’t adhere to my agenda then he wasn’t going to follow through and join. I would then have to chant again, to continue the human revolution to make that paradigm shift to be motivated by compassion. Two weeks ago, he opened up to me about a problem and this time I spoke from my heart about how amazing this practice is and how it would enable him to breakthrough. I encouraged him to attend a MD toso that evening, he said OK!!!! At the end of the work day when it came time to go, he was gone, he went home without saying anything to me. I was so disappointed, so I re-determined with deadly serious daimoku that he would come this week, and he did! For his first meeting, he chanted an entire hour! I will not give up on him!


Name: Ellen Wadsworth
Practice: 35 years
Location: Austin, TX
Position: Texas/OK Zone Women's Leader