Thursday, February 12, 2009

Feb 12: Example of Family Revolution

I have spent the last 30 years seriously chanting for family revolution - my entire family disliked me due to my behavior throughout my teens and early adulthood. I was the example of what not to be, what not to do, and what not to become.

I have a cousin who is several years younger than I am. During our growing years, I was always angry and jealous of her: I felt that she had the beauty, she seduced any boy I ever liked, she had parents who were millionaires, she "had it made", while I struggled for everything.

I received a call from her about two months ago, when we really started our Bucket List, and my goal was to do meaningful personal shakubuku (sharing Buddhism). I found out that her parents have rejected her, her husband left her for another woman, she is trying to receive disability due to her disastrous health condition, and she is selling her possessions to survive. She said her reason for calling me was because she "just knows in her heart that I have the answers she has been looking for, because of my happiness, my success, and because everyone in the family looks up to me."

I invited her to our District Meeting to celebrate Women’s month because my heart was so touched by compassion due to her current life situation and life condition, and she agreed to come. To me, this is an amazing example of human revolution, family revolution, and I am determined to continue until she can be as happy as I am with my practice, my family, and my life.

Thank you all.


Name: Cora Christensen
Length of Practice: 35 years
Location: Omaha Area/ Bellevue District Women’s Leader